Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Art and Television

First off, let me say WHEW! It has been a while since I have written anything. It is not that I have been busy, I just could not come up with something to blog about.

Today, I gathered my inspiration from what I am currently watching. As of this very minute, I am watching Work Of Art on Bravo. This is a brand new show that started about three weeks ago and kind of follows the order of Project Runway. People create pieces of art after being given a task, and then they are judged on creativity, technique, etc. Like Project Runway, people tend not to understand what the point of the art is on Work of Art. So many people watch Project Runway (or any fashion show for that matter) and wonder who actually wears the clothes that are being shown. This is a little bit annoying that people get annoyed with not understanding why someone would make something like this
(Armani Runway 2010)

People who do not understand art do not understand that this is wearable art. Of course no one would have a reason to wear these beautiful dresses, but you also would not take a Picasso, fold it up into a square, and carry it around in your wallet. I love clothes and I love fashion shows and seeing what everyone is making for he next season. So it really bugs me when people make comments about not being able to wear clothes that designers make. I have a different reason as to why I cannot wear their clothes; I am 5'1 and I will keep my waist size to myself.

I didn't have as much to say about art as I had intended, but that is okay. I can always make another blog dedicated to it later.

On to the next topic.

Has anyone seen any themes in television lately? I have noticed that channels have common themes among themselves. Take for example TLC. They focus mostly on huge families (Kate Plus 8, 19 Kids and Counting, Table For 12), little people (The Little Couple, Little People Big World), and obesity (One BIG Happy Family, Half-Ton Man). Bravo does the same with the Real Housewives Of...

Lets talk about the Real Housewives of New Jersey for a minute. Poor Bryan has to watch this show with me because I am absolutely in love with it. The premise of the show is that these 5 (now 4) women are really rich and live in New Jersey where they do rich things. Like me, you are probably thinking "I didn't know that anyone rich besides Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi lived in NJ". Well they do. And they are not all in the mob. Anyway, I was watching last night and one of the story plots was that Teresa was throwing a house warming party after living in this house for over a year. I think I heard that her house is estimated to be worth around $7 million dollars. Anyway, we were able to see the party planning happen and how everything came together. They were showing the rented furniture (I don't understand why you wouldn't show off your new furniture at this party) and I noticed that a lot of the fabric on the rented furniture was gold and animal print. I thought to myself "That is really cute, but I could not pull that off here." Every week that I watch this show, I keep thinking about how great it would be to be able to wear animal print and a lot of gold, and people would not think you are crazy. People in Kansas wear beige (you know who you are) and denim. I am not a beige and denim fan. I decided that to fulfill my dream, I need to move to Jersey for a week and see how much gold and animal print I can wear in one week. I do need to point out that I did think it was a little ridiculous that Teresa put leopard print clothes on her new born baby before she was even out of the hospital. I might have an inner Jersey girl, but even I know that is a little much.

If you know me at all, you would know that I like watching Gilmore Girls re-runs. For a minute there I thought I was exactly like Rory Gilmore because we were going through the same things and she wanted to be a journalist as well. I guess that just means that they had good writers. While watching this show in the afternoons on ABC Family, they have commercials for their other shows. One that seems to be very popular is The Secret Life Of The American Teenager. I will admit that when this show first came out, I did watch it. The creator is the same woman who came up with 7th Heaven which was a clean, family appropriate show. I grew up with 7th Heaven and wanted to see what this new show was all about. If you have seen any of the previews, you would know that it is about a girl who gets pregnant her sophomore year of high school. My first thought was "Well, that seems realistic." The more I watched, the more I realized that, sure, it covers all the different groups that pop up in high school, but some of these story lines are completely unrealistic.
When the first show was over, I looked at the message boards for this show. I can gather from the comments and screen names that most of the people writing on the message boards were from girls 12-17. Some of them would talk about the show and how much they like it, who they like, and what their parents thought because a lot of parents watched it with them. Then there were the messages stating that the girl commenting was pregnant or was thinking about sleeping with their boyfriend/girlfriend. This got me to thinking about the message that is being sent by this show. Is it good or bad? Do more people relate to this show and want to start sleeping with their partner or do they understand what the show is saying and is actually taking the message to heart? To me, the message is, okay, this is sex, and this is what can happen. Make the best decision for you.
I wondered if the people on the message boards were watching the show and making better decisions or if they were making fun of being a teenager and being pregnant. Some of the people on the boards would say "I think I am pregnant" and give little symptoms of pregnancy, but then they would make up some story for all the world to hear and people would start debunking their pregnancy. That is why I wondered if they were taking the message to heart or just using it to not take the message seriously. Personally, I think this is a great show for t(w)eens to watch with their parents so they can get some kind of dialog going. The story lines might be a little rough at times, but for the most part, it stays true to its form.
I also think that Teen Mom on MTV is a good show for t(w)eens to watch so they can see how hard it can be to be 16 with a child. SLOAT is good to show different options, but Teen Mom is great at showing what happens after you have a baby.

Sorry this blog is everywhere tonight. I am distracted because they are making artsy book covers and you know how much I love how to read.

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment