Friday, January 7, 2011

I'm Batman!

It has only taken about 3 months, but here I am, writing about my life and everything that has happened in it or just random thought about it. I would loooove to update you on everything going on or tell you about my particular opinions on different life issues, but I don't have time and cannot really get my thoughts together right now (maybe that has to do with listening to "Me and Julio Down By The School Yard" by Paul Simon while I write this? Such a good song).

What I am doing here is what I like to call "pre-writing". You see, tomorrow I start some Ariel Skills classes that I received as a Christmas/birthday present from Bryan and his family this year. You may be asking yourself "What is that?" Well it is this beautiful form of performance and exercise where you use silk ropes to pretty much dance in the air. I have enjoyed things like that since seeing Cirqu de Soleil in Las Vegas about 5 years ago. It is just so graceful and different that I automatically fell in love with it. However, I thought it was something you had to be highly trained in and you have to be from a country like Yugoslavia to be good at. Turns out there are two places here in Kansas City where you can take classes to learn this art. My friends Susannah and I decided that is something we would like to try, and Bryan must have picked up on it because this past holiday, he surprised me by signing me up for a few classes. So tomorrow is my very first class.

It might sound like I am super excited (because I am!), but deep down, I do have a few questions or general concerns. It has absolutely nothing to do with safety, but more to do with myself. Like right now, I wonder if I can even climb a rope. Honestly, I don't even remember having to climb a rope in elementary school. The other night I told Bryan that I probably good climb a rope if I really tried. You just put one hand on top of the other right? He brought me crashing down to reality when he reminded me that you also have to be able to pull yourself up. I haven't checked recently, but I am fairly sure I cannot life 125 pounds on any given day.
Also, if I do fall off of this "rope", what am I going to land on? Do they have a net? A pit of foam blocks? Cement? And, if I do fall, how am I supposed to fall? This question took up a good majority of my thoughts at work today. If you fall onto a net, do you let your butt hit first, your back? your front? Even though you probably are not falling on anything hard, could it hurt your tail-bone? OH! And when I am first doing this, am I harnessed into something or do they just let you climb and hope that your hands do no get too sweaty that you don't slide all the way to the ground?
Finally, the instructions that they send up before the classes mentions that you should bring a bottle of water "just in case." Just in case of what? Do people loose massive amounts of water doing this? Do they pee it out of fright of being so high or do they expect you to sweat that much while trying to climb a rope?

Hopefully all of these questions and more are answered tomorrow. I would not be surprised if they don't even let us on the rope tomorrow. Actually, I hope they do, and I hope that I am such a natural that they send me straight to Cirqu de Soleil. I don't know why God would make me 5'2 for any other reason.

Also, below is a video of the company I will be going through to learn these new skills. I will update you tomorrow and give a comparison between what I can do and what they do in the video.

-Dusti




1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to hear how it goes tomorrow. All I can say after watching the video is "OUCH!"

    ReplyDelete